Wednesday, February 20, 2008

4 on the 'mill

Why? Good question. I mean is was bright and dry today; warm in the sun. It was still daylight when I left work. It would have been a nice evening for a run. And yet I chose to 'mill it. I think because it's harder to dog it on the 'mill. You can set a pace and then make yourself stick to it. It's easy, especially when running by yourself, to settle into the same old jog-along shuffle routine. Intervals keep things interesting, but, again with the discipline.

One nice thing about where I live is that there's a world-class training trail about a half-mile from my house (Track Town, USA!). The Adidas running trail is covered in bark. There's a 1600 meter (1 mile, for us Amuricans) lighted loop and a partially integrated 1000 meter loop marked in 100 meter intervals. I'll just say that it's awesome. 3:00 x 3:00s and :40/:20s are a piece of cake and progress is easy to measure, but I digress.

I chose a treadmill tonight because I wanted to push it, just a little, and this seemed like the best and easiest way under the circumstances. I'm at that point where a little shove is necessary in order to get over that hump and, believe me, I want to be on the other side. Regardless, I ground out four 8:00s. It was work, but not misery - and I did it. I had the luxury of time which allowed for the follow-up of some long stretches, which means that I'll get to run again next time.

How's everyone else (who's not being consumed) coming along?

2 comments:

amy said...

i am still being consumed, and it is dreadful, but let me just say, you are inspiring the hell out of me. what an attitude. you go, guy. and as soon as my lungs are in the mood to breathe air again, i will be right on your heels (ok, trailing way way behind...but i'll be running again!)

Mike said...

Good then. Rest well. Hope to see you posting again soon.