Sunday, February 17, 2008

There's an old joke that says

..."I used to stretch for two minutes and play for 20. Now I stretch for 20 and play for two." Yeah? Well, it's no joke. This is not self-deprecation. I don't like it, but it happens to be a matter of fact. For me. Regardless, I started gymming it this week. It had gotten to that point: No putting it off any longer. Start doing the stuff if you think that you want to keep doing the other stuff. The end.

So I started out light, you know? As previously posted, I've been here before; I know the deal. I want to walk. Being able to straighten my arm in order to reach for something comes in handy, too. So I took it nice an easy. Wow! Had it really been that long? Guess so. You have to be careful, because it feels really good your first time back. Then it hurts like a mamma-jamma. Then you have to go back in order to show your muscles who's boss. Then you start to feel stronger, leaner, more agile. Then it gets good and you start to actually feel physically capable. Your pants get loose. It feeds itself and becomes a way of life. I can see that far, but today I'm left to look forward to the next workout and chant: come on muscle memory! And then like the guy on the G train: Any day now!

No comments: