Sunday, February 17, 2008

Apparently...

...I have the biomechanics of a marionette.

It's true. I can't just run. It doesn't work that way. For me. Any more. Seriously, I'm somehow unable to work the muscles necessary for running by simply running. I know. I don't get it either. But I do know that if I only run, then it won't be long before things start hurting...like my hips and my knees and my shins and my feet. And if I ignore it, then these things start to REALLY hurt. Eventually, I will develop a training-ending pain of some sort. I know from experience because I don't want it to be true. I focus on my form and visualize the necessary muscles doing their respective jobs. I suppose it's possible that my form is as poor as my visualization techniques, but the pain remains in either case.

Mostly, it's that little muscle just above and slightly to the inside of your kneecap. I've come to understand that it's kind of an important one. However, that little son-of-a-bitch will slowly atrophy into uselessness by running alone and so I resort to cross-training. Oh, and stretching. Believe me, the only thing I hate more than stretching is how I feel if I attempt to run and don't stretch. And it works. For me. Pamy, I thought that you might appreciate this. Anyway, these are the things which I must do if I want to run. I've come to accept it as just part of the deal.

I guess that the trick here is to try to share what I know - or what I think I know - about what works for me without sounding like a horse's ass. I'm trying. 'Cause I'm old, too. Not as old as Richard, mind you (thanks for being there for me, Richard), but not too far behind him, either. If the good Lord is willing, then I will be in four short years. And I sincerely hope to still be running, should I make it.

No comments: