Monday, February 4, 2008

Garbage and treadmills

So I went on a lovely run along the Columbia River today. I got to see lots of geese (I guess that means spring is coming?) and two blue herons. I also saw trash everywhere. It was almost like the garbage trucks just dump their loads along the river after they pick it up from our houses. Okay, not that bad but you know what I mean. *sigh* With all the trash, you would have thought I would have seen some seagulls. Rant done...NOW!





So my run was a little further than the required 3 miles, but I didn't have a course with milage mapped out ahead of time and I saw a landmark in the distance, and decided to go for it. 4 runs may be hard for me to do in a week until the days start getting longer so I might be doing 3 longer runs for a few weeks instead of the prescibed 4. That okay Coach Erin?

Amy, Erin's advice about getting out to run instead of using a treadmill all the time is good, but if it is your only choice for now, there are just some things you can do to make your workout more like running in the great outdoors. If Christie Clark can win the US marathon trials by training almost solely on a treadmill, then so can we!

3 comments:

amy said...

michelle, thanks for the link about treadmill use. i'm glad to know i am not hopeless for using the thing, but i am distressed at the thought of my heart rate being even higher when i run on the actual ground. you see, when i hold onto the hand sensors, my heart rate is often higher than the machine will measure. at a 13 minute mile pace. i think i have a heart problem. oh well.

Michelle said...

I have had the same heart rate issue on a treadmill. I think those things are bunk.

Flood said...

yeah, the treadmill heart rate monitor is a sham. It tells me mine is 84 when I'm panting, beet red, with sweat streaming off my face and flying all over the place. Listen to your body. You know when you're working hard.