Saturday, January 26, 2008

Friday

Yeah, I did the thing. Not because I had to - and it would have been easy not to - but very soon I'm going to have to, so I may as well get used to the idea of having to do the thing before I really do have to do it. Anyway it was short. 3-ish. But you know what? Toward the end, it actually started to feel kind of good. I mean, it was no jog of jubilation, like Erin experienced, but it was OK.

But the best part - the absolute near nirvana experience - came after the run (big surprise, right?). But seriously, instead of going inside, taking my post-run warm-up shot and hitting the stretches, I headed for the backyard. I haven't spent much time back there since the days got short and I mowed the lawn for the last time.

It was dry and crunchy and cold, where you exhale your CO2 like a locomotive and steam rises from your shoulders. I headed for the backyard and stretched out in the hammock. The canvas warmed to my body temperature in a second and it felt so good to just lie there, suspended, weightless; completely relaxed. I almost fell asleep inside of 2 minutes. Aaahhh...I hadn't done that since, like, September. I'm telling you, it's the best!

No comments: