Saturday, January 26, 2008

Six and six and a half

Six is how many miles I treadmilled yesterday; six and a half is how many hours it will take me to finish the marathon at my current pace (on a treadmill). That's too many. However, I have increased my pace from fifteen minutes a mile to thirteen, and have increased my distance capacity from three miles to six, so I guess we are getting somewhere...albeit, slowly.

I watched the movie and loved it-thanks for the recommendation (orders), coachie. My favorite character, by a landslide, was the old guy who "does it for the t-shirt", probably because I relate to him most closely in terms of physical fitness, speed, and source of motivation [hubris]. I thought he was charming. Flood, I agree that watching the interactions with the Boston Marathon couple was uncomfortable and that they were distasteful. I loved Deena Kastor a lot because she kept making me cry. I was also charmed by Daniel Njenga, pretty sad when he didn't win, and delighted by the footage from Kenya, although it did make the think, "to hell with the marathon, I'm moving to Africa!". Leah Caille was annoying to me, partially because she said her six-year-old daughter was so supportive (not her daughter's six-year-old job, in my opinion) and also because she was a little melodramatic and weepy. I resolved to not allow any running events to incite melodrama or weepiness in me, so I guess that was something positive. And I liked the lady who was running for charity a lot. She seemed appropriately intimidated by the marathon, without being a drama queen. And I liked how she ran alone.

I'm glad we are not running some super-sized marathon like Chicago.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I am impressed you can stay on the treadmill for that long. I have been running on a treadmill for two weeks now and cannot handle more than 30 minutes before I go insane and run out of the gym.

amy said...

i think i find treadmilling easier than real running because of the tv. yesterday, the longest yard was on; not adam sandler's finest work but it was distracting. i am trying to figure out how to rig a tv to hang a few feet in front of my while i run in newport. between that and erin serenading us with "Don't Cry Out Loud", i can't fail!

Michelle said...

HA! Good luck with that! But that gives me a good idea: Maybe I will ask my gym to move a treadmill closer to the tv screens or ask them to move a tv closer to the treadmill. Right now, they are close enough to kind of see what is going on but definitely far enough away that I cannot read the subtitles. I tried closing my eyes once so I could think without the distractions of the gym; I nearly fell off the back of the treadmill. It was a little embarrassing!